Translating widdershins?

I have never really thought about the role of publishing translator, mainly because I speak no other languages; still trying to learn this one! When it has crossed the radar, however, like when I read amazing 'foreign fiction' like the award winning Per Petersson's Out Stealing Horses, it suddenly ocurred to me what a pain in the arse it must be for the translator of, say, Finnegans Wake by Joyce, or even Ridley Walker by Russell Hoban. Not that Petersson's book is of that linguistic ilk, it isn't, it's just a very poignant story. But in the cases of such books in translation what is Spanish/Swedish/German for euwwggghh!?
Maybe it is simpler in that who can verify the exact definitions when they may not even exist?
I am thinking about this now as my publisher has just returned from the Frankfurt Book Fair where lots of countries make deals to publish other countries books. And, if I'm lucky enough, could one day see my soon to be novel, A Clockwork Apple, in a language not my own. And trying to find equivalents for some of the obscure, weird and wonderful words I have included may prove to be a task. Words such as barathrum, which actually means insatiable, but which doesn't feel or imply the same as the lovely barathrum! So if the Finnish for insatiable was chosen it would be a case of 'eh, so what?' And widdershins, oh the lovely widdershins!

Popular Posts