Skip to main content

Manchester!!

I had applied, and been offered a place, to study for a PhD at Manchester University this September. It would mean working on one particularly research intensive historical novel, also set in Manchester and, like A Clockwork Apple, would feature a feisty, self-determined heroine. Doing a PhD is an expensive business, and because of that I applied for funding from the AHRC, the main funding body. The Professor at Manchester who had offered me the place, helped me complete the application to the required standard and then it was up to the powers that be at the University which applications they would then put forward to the Research body. I received an email last Friday to say that mine had not been put forward. Most people would be disappointed and accept the decision with good grace, then set about raising the required funds from elsewhere, knowing that a PhD is now needed if you want to lecture/teach at university level. I was furious, though. Why? Well, before I studied for an MA at the excellent University of Westminster, I had been offered a place on the MA in Creative Writing at Royal Holloway, under the directorship of Poet Laureate, Andrew Motion. My application for research funding had, there too, also not been put forward by the University administration. These things are based largely on academic merit. That means those who get a first in their BA or a distinction in their MA are likely to be put forward over those, like me, who gained a 2:1 in their BA and a Merit in their MA - both are good grades considering the amount of time during both I had to spend working to keep the roof over my head. For the second half of my full-time MA I was also working full-time! That's one of the reasons I'm angry - the criteria is doubly hard for those that have no financial support from anyone except themselves and who did well to get good grades whilst working full-time. Another reason I'm angry about Manchester's decision is that I grew up in the three main shitty areas surrounding the University. I spent a lot of time hanging around its Gothic buildings as a child - mainly because it had such a different energy to Hulme and Moss-Side, despite being on its very doorstep! I knew, as a child, that there'd be fat chance someone with my background could make it to their city's University. That's why I was so emotional when I'd been offered a place. And it makes me wonder just how many of those other students had even grown up in Manchester - not that that should make a difference, but that it would perhaps be a lot fairer to judge cases on merits not strictly limited to whether your BA says 'first' or your MA says 'distinction'. The University say they will consider me for a bursary - but that they won't reach this decision until July. What that really means is that they will wait to see who, out of those put forward for AHRC funding, has been successful or not. Which means those who don't get the AHRC funding will then be in with a chance for a bursary, which means yet more competition. I hope I get it but in the meantime I will have to shelve my desire of studying at Manchester for a PhD and look for studentship places in cities and towns that I have no affiliation with and where I may have to end up spending three years of my life. And if I do get one of those places I will still have to visit Manchester on a regular basis because my family are there and because the research I need to do for the PhD is also situated there!! Whilst not wanting to be too melodramatic about the whole thing I can't help feel that the days of Jude the Obscure are not much different from now. Get a first and get funding - even though if you get a first, chances are you're more likely to have come from a financially secure background anyway! I've got my fingers crossed that A Clockwork Apple will bring in enough money to cover the fees anyway.

Popular posts from this blog

Who was Mary Burns?

On 7th January 1863 Mary Burns was found dead from a suspected heart attack. She was 43 years old. Since her death Mary has received barely any attention despite the fact that she spent over twenty years as the common-law wife of Friedrich Engels, one of the world’s most influential thinkers and the co-founder of Marxism.

Born in 1822, Mary was the oldest surviving child of textile dyer and factory operative, Michael Burns, and Mary Conroy, Irish immigrants from Tipperary. Mary’s parents had married at St. Patrick’s in an area known casually as Irish Town, one of few Catholic churches in Manchester at that time. The year of Mary’s birth and her infancy were significant in that Manchester was still dealing with the aftermath of the event that became known as the 1819 Peterloo Massacre, a peaceful protest of the working-classes on the site of St. Peter’s Fields in which several people were killed and hundreds injured. The Massacre occurred when magistrates, alarmed at the size of t…

Booker Shortlist announced

It's been a while... I know. Dog walking on the Downs, a bit of theatre, a bit of baking, a bit of writing etcetera etcetera. I also managed to read two complete books in the past month, which I was so pleased about. I had not read a whole book for about a year. The first was A Lie About My Father by Scottish poet/writer, John Burnside; a very well written memoir about father and son, but like all memoirs, some unreliability I felt. Poignant and tragic in equal measure. Then my husband returned from Cyprus (too hot for me this time of year, I can barely cope with England!) with Sebastian Faulks's Birdsong. He loved it. And then I read it and also loved it. I had originally picked it up several years ago but didn't get beyond Amiens, where the first section is set, but was really glad I did this time around. Another incredibly well written book in the style of a good Victorian! I felt a bit unsure about bits of Elizabeth, in the later section, but I have never learnt so muc…

Days Without End and Mosul's Avengers

So fed up am I of buying books that I don't finish, that I decided I would go to the local library for a copy of Sebastian Barry's latest novel, Days Without End, which has just been awarded the Costa Prize. Unfortunately, I could only borrow it on the proviso that it was return by 1 February. I returned it the day after, without having finished it. I was about three quarters through, and will now have to go out and buy it for the final quarter. I loved Barry's The Secret Scripture, and on every publication of a new work, his star rises. Days Without End follows two boys, one descended from native Americans, and the other having arrived on one of the notorious coffin ships from famine struck Sligo. The tale is brave, funny, touching, but most of all Barry has achieved the perfect pitch. It is quite remarkable.

Another remarkable work comes in the form of reportage in the New Yorker (February 6, 2017) The Avengers of Mosul, by Luke Mogelson 'A Reporter at Large'.

Mo…