Skip to main content

Sluggish and slogging....

Most people assume that the warm weather is loved by all.  But I find it difficult to deal with - it's my time for some form of SAD - seasonal affective disorder.  I don't mind slightly warm with breeze but to have it so bright and too warm is just far too uncomfortable and it brings on low moods, mainly as a result of my energy being sapped and making me feel too sluggish to do anything very much. 

I'm a Northern European and my bones and my skin are not made for this weather - and nor is my writing. So why, instead of escaping to the cool interior of the British Library's Humanities reading room, did I opt instead for my local, Swiss Cottage Library?  I knew it was gonna be a non-starter from the word go, really, and not just because it was getting warmer (people talk quite openly all the time and answer mobiles!) and because it is Camden's 'flagship' library it is all big windows, so during the warm weather it's like a greenhouse and during the winter you need five layers.  Anyway, within two hours I was really wilting and finding it harder and harder to concentrate so I eventually gave up and walked home, my laptop bag feeling like a tonne weight under the eager sun. 

What did I do for the rest of the afternoon?  I simply flopped down and hardly got up and it's promising to be a long, hot night.  I read a bit, researching issues pertaining to the book I'm trying to write on my mum, but not much more, which pisses me off because this week is to be the last bit of serious writing time I'm going to have because as of Monday I'm on a freelance PR job for six to eight weeks.  I just hope they have air conditioning. 

It makes all the more desirable my much fantasised escape to a simple log cabin in the Western Fjords of Iceland - the subject of my short illustrated novel in progress, Tired Waves, Vainly Breaking which, at least, is something I'm feeling quite enthusiastic about.


Popular posts from this blog

Who was Mary Burns?

On 7th January 1863 Mary Burns was found dead from a suspected heart attack. She was 43 years old. Since her death Mary has received barely any attention despite the fact that she spent over twenty years as the common-law wife of Friedrich Engels, one of the world’s most influential thinkers and the co-founder of Marxism.

Born in 1822, Mary was the oldest surviving child of textile dyer and factory operative, Michael Burns, and Mary Conroy, Irish immigrants from Tipperary. Mary’s parents had married at St. Patrick’s in an area known casually as Irish Town, one of few Catholic churches in Manchester at that time. The year of Mary’s birth and her infancy were significant in that Manchester was still dealing with the aftermath of the event that became known as the 1819 Peterloo Massacre, a peaceful protest of the working-classes on the site of St. Peter’s Fields in which several people were killed and hundreds injured. The Massacre occurred when magistrates, alarmed at the size of t…

Booker Shortlist announced

It's been a while... I know. Dog walking on the Downs, a bit of theatre, a bit of baking, a bit of writing etcetera etcetera. I also managed to read two complete books in the past month, which I was so pleased about. I had not read a whole book for about a year. The first was A Lie About My Father by Scottish poet/writer, John Burnside; a very well written memoir about father and son, but like all memoirs, some unreliability I felt. Poignant and tragic in equal measure. Then my husband returned from Cyprus (too hot for me this time of year, I can barely cope with England!) with Sebastian Faulks's Birdsong. He loved it. And then I read it and also loved it. I had originally picked it up several years ago but didn't get beyond Amiens, where the first section is set, but was really glad I did this time around. Another incredibly well written book in the style of a good Victorian! I felt a bit unsure about bits of Elizabeth, in the later section, but I have never learnt so muc…

Good Canary

Forgot to mention that we went to see Good Canary at Kingston's Rose Theatre last week. Star role played by the brilliantly intense Freya Mavor, who plays a speed addict. It's directed by John Malkovich - his UK's theatre directorial debut. Will try and post more about it later.