Terribly terribly Telegraph...

The Telegraph's literary blog is not doing a very good job at keeping up with the Guardian's. However, they have got a podcast which I was both totally fascinated and repulsed by - in equal measure. Each author is answering the question - which literary classic are you ashamed never to have read? I was fascinated to hear the 'humiliation' of not having read Middlemarch (Mary Beard - Oxford Don) or the biography of General Slim (Martin Bell). What classic am I ashamed of having never read? None! There are works I would like to read so that I at least feel as though I am better informed when I say that Salman Rushdie is a load of tosh, but ashamed and humiliated is a bit strong. I was repulsed because, apart from Oona King, every other author was white, and not just with no trace of an accent, but 'terribly terribly...' I know I shouldn't be mean and it's not a go at them as people, more at The Telegraph who couldn't even be arsed to put in a token accent - I'm sure there were authors at the Way with Words festival who sounded as though they come from the regions!

Popular posts from this blog

Who was Mary Burns?

An Enemy of the People - Chichester Festival Theatre

Five Finger Exercise - The Print Room, Notting Hill