Trauma - Patrick McGrath

I galloped through Trauma, by Patrick McGrath. It is almost as great as Asylum, but that will remain my favourite by him. But Trauma does what really good novels should, in my opinion. It has clear prose that is not cluttered by too much pointless descriptive detritus that can annoying hold up the pace of much narrative. Whilst focussed it also brings in the stories of other characters and their effect on Charles Weir, the main character. It has a believable and clever unreliable narrator that had me questioning the story I was being told, enabling me to engage with it at a much deeper level. And it also teaches much about psychology and trauma at the same time. Brilliant. The Independent featured an extract from it here. Hilary Mantel also reviewed it for The Guardian last Saturday, here.

Popular posts from this blog

Who was Mary Burns?

An Enemy of the People - Chichester Festival Theatre

Five Finger Exercise - The Print Room, Notting Hill