I want to read...

I'm still only halfway through Marilyn Robinson's so-called 'modern classic' Housekeeping. I like the way in which it evokes the dusty old town of Fingerbone but it can also feel like a bit of a trudge at times, as though Robinson has sent us to Fingerbone for eternity too. And she lingers far too long on aspects of the girls lives, which I find draining at times. It's as though time has stood still. However, I shall post a review once I'm done. Today I discovered that Per Petterson's To Siberia (Graywolf Press) is out. I shall be ordering a copy. There's also an excerpt from the New York Review of Books here. I love the way in which Petterson deals with grief and loss with stark landscapes to match. He reached excellence in Out Stealing Horses. However, his second (to be published in the UK, he has written five novels), In the Wake, whilst being more than an adequate read didn't come anywhere close to the poignancy of OSH. I'm hoping To Siberia - which I keep writing as To Serbia! - will live up to expectation. You can discover more about the Nordic writer here.

Popular Posts