Skip to main content

To read...

My 2009 reading has already begun, or at least, is in a pile, waiting impatiently. Today I began Dag Solstad's Shyness and Dignity, and the first page impressed with a prose style as clear as an Arctic glacier, although the next twenty or so pages he does go on somewhat with his draining analysis of Ibsen. Anyway, unlike the previous Solstad book, still laying face down at page something, I shall (snow) plough on. I have also been sent a book to review. Someone has caught on that I have a penchant for Scandi. It's The Pets by Bragi Olafsson, translated from the Icelandic by Janice Balfour, and which (the?) Berlingske Tidende (Denmark) has hailed as 'one of the best pieces of Nordic literature I've read in a long time'. I shall see. I also have Paul Bailey's Uncle Rudolf to finish, as well as to begin on Night Crawlers, by Nani Power. Which is leaving little time for continuing with Jenny Diski's Apology for the Woman Writing, but which I know I shall return to and engage with, at some point. I'm going to try and get together a 'selection of forthcoming literature in 2009' thing, as David Sexton has drawn together a few in today's Evening Standard. (There's also a very good two page feature on 'art house cinema'). However, he also says that many publishers will now steer clear of 'formulaic misery memoirs' but then makes no comment on the fact that half of the novels we can expect in 2009 and which will no doubt get the marketing budgets that some of the authors' jaded old names can expect, also seem to be of that very tiresome, 'formulaic' and horribly bourgeois North London domestic clap-trap that has soaked the novel since the year dot. Defoe and Behn would be spinning in their graves. Hey ho and all that. In fact, I'm also going to be setting up a separate blog to capture random scenes. The Guardian's talkboards - the old ones, not the blogs - has run an 'Overheard Conversations' thread for a while and is really amusing. So my little stab at capturing the crumbs of day-to-day life will consist of scenes, some I will use, most probably not, but may serve others. Here's one scene which I developed simply from watching an old man in Starbucks, which sparked an idea. I came across in an old notebook this morning, as I was attempting to avoid writing a difficult scene of a work in progress:

I was quite glad to die in Starbucks, there amongst the skinny lattes, white cafe mochas and raspberry and pomegranite frappucinos. I knew what each of the drinks were, how they were made, what they consisted of; whether they came with the option of whipped cream. And yet I'd never once bought a single cup of anything. A tall latte bought three slices of good boiled ham from the only butcher's left in the area, that's why. But now... now I wish I'd splashed out on a vente white cafe mocha - although I'd have passed on the whipped cream, it looked indulgent enough without. Maybe that was the difference between my age and the youngsters - they wanted dessert with everything. No, for two years and four months, almost daily, Beata gave me a tall iced tap water. She was a nice girl. Polish. Studying something at college. I'd once tried to enlighten her on the joys of E.M. Forster but it seemed to go right over her head. That man, let me tell you, the best writer in English. Well, of the century at least. Last century. A Passage to India, that's usually what I carried around with me - I'd paid twenty pence for it from the local library sale. Sometimes I could see the occasional person come out of their own worlds, glance up at the cover of the book held up in front of me, then at me, just for a flicker, and I could almost hear them thinking, 'he's an old Indian man wearing some sort of old school tie and an old Harris tweed cap and he's reading A Passage to India!'

Popular posts from this blog

Who was Mary Burns?

On 7th January 1863 Mary Burns was found dead from a suspected heart attack. She was 43 years old. Since her death Mary has received barely any attention despite the fact that she spent over twenty years as the common-law wife of Friedrich Engels, one of the world’s most influential thinkers and the co-founder of Marxism.

Born in 1822, Mary was the oldest surviving child of textile dyer and factory operative, Michael Burns, and Mary Conroy, Irish immigrants from Tipperary. Mary’s parents had married at St. Patrick’s in an area known casually as Irish Town, one of few Catholic churches in Manchester at that time. The year of Mary’s birth and her infancy were significant in that Manchester was still dealing with the aftermath of the event that became known as the 1819 Peterloo Massacre, a peaceful protest of the working-classes on the site of St. Peter’s Fields in which several people were killed and hundreds injured. The Massacre occurred when magistrates, alarmed at the size of t…

Booker Shortlist announced

It's been a while... I know. Dog walking on the Downs, a bit of theatre, a bit of baking, a bit of writing etcetera etcetera. I also managed to read two complete books in the past month, which I was so pleased about. I had not read a whole book for about a year. The first was A Lie About My Father by Scottish poet/writer, John Burnside; a very well written memoir about father and son, but like all memoirs, some unreliability I felt. Poignant and tragic in equal measure. Then my husband returned from Cyprus (too hot for me this time of year, I can barely cope with England!) with Sebastian Faulks's Birdsong. He loved it. And then I read it and also loved it. I had originally picked it up several years ago but didn't get beyond Amiens, where the first section is set, but was really glad I did this time around. Another incredibly well written book in the style of a good Victorian! I felt a bit unsure about bits of Elizabeth, in the later section, but I have never learnt so muc…

Good Canary

Forgot to mention that we went to see Good Canary at Kingston's Rose Theatre last week. Star role played by the brilliantly intense Freya Mavor, who plays a speed addict. It's directed by John Malkovich - his UK's theatre directorial debut. Will try and post more about it later.