Knut Hamsun

I remember reading Norweigan writer Knut Hamsun's Hunger about fifteen years ago, at a very low point in my life, and despite it also being grim, it gave me sustenance. Here was a novel about a writer struggling. I wasn't writing very much back then, but I was really struggling. It introduced me to the rest of Hamsun's work. I knew nothing, until the past few years, of Hamsun's Nazi affinities. In fact, twenty-three years after being awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature, he passed it on to one of his heroes - Joseph Goebbels! But despite all this he was still a great writer. It doesn't darken Hunger for me knowing that the author had these politics. I take the work, reject those parts of the author. Is it really that simple though? Here's an interesting article on 'Norway's Black Sheep', from The Wilson Quarterly.

Popular posts from this blog

Who was Mary Burns?

An Enemy of the People - Chichester Festival Theatre

Five Finger Exercise - The Print Room, Notting Hill