No one has the right to live without being shocked.

Philip Pullman responded to a Christian who claimed that the title of Pullman's latest book, The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ, was offensive, by saying 'no-one has the right to live without being shocked'. It is already doing the rounds on the Internet, and in New Humanist Magazine, here, and will surely be quoted for many years to come.
What a difficult past couple of weeks it has been. I've been up and down like the proverbial yo-yo. And I daren't go into what I'm reading as the pile of books teeters dangerously.

However, I was very pleased that my good friend, the journalist Tanya Gold, won the 'Feature Writer of the Year' award at last week's British Press Awards, whom the judges said 'always laughed at herself, never the reader'.

Last night I went to see 'I Love you Philip Morris' and, whilst containing many good moments, was not worthy of my love! Jim Carrey is a great actor, but whoever decided to cast Ewan McGregor as Philip Morris must have been suffering from a severer case of miscastitis!

A more substantial post next time. I hope.

Popular posts from this blog

Who was Mary Burns?

An Enemy of the People - Chichester Festival Theatre

Five Finger Exercise - The Print Room, Notting Hill