Desert Island Discs

Yesterday a good friend (are there 'bad' friends?), Jimmy Mulville, told me that he is about to appear on Radio 4's long-running show, Desert Island Discs. He then went through the tracks he chose - all great, classic (only one classical). He chose one that I would have to include in my 'fantasy Desert Island Discs'. Here would be my list, chosen not because they're all my faves, but because of the people and periods in my life that have been/are the most poignant:

The Fairytale of New York - Pogues ft. Kirsty McColl - reminds me of my parents marriage

Coolio - Gangsta's Paradise - it was playing everywhere the year I came to London and it reminds me of where I came from

Ane Brun - Lullaby for Grown-ups

Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill - the song we chose to play at my Da's funeral

Feargal Sharkey - A Good Heart - one of my Mum's favourite songs

Sibelius - Violin Concerto in D Minor - just love it

Moloko - Bring it back - reminds me of my Momo days

Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush - Don't Give Up - used to play it a lot as a teenager

Book: Any poetry anthology that included Christopher Reid, Alice Oswald, Charles Simic, Philip Gross, Sharon Olds, Yeats...

That's 8 already - I think 8's the limit! There are soooo many more to be added.

Which would you pick, and why?

Popular posts from this blog

Who was Mary Burns?

An Enemy of the People - Chichester Festival Theatre

Five Finger Exercise - The Print Room, Notting Hill