Beautiful Books

The publisher of A Clockwork Apple, Beautiful Books, has gone into administration. It's such a shame. Simon Petherick, the MD, who set it up from his home in Clapham about four years ago before moving to a small west-end office had the passion for reads that were away from the mainstream. I'm not at all too disheartened. I'm just glad that I was one of the early authors; I know I'd have felt great sadness had I signed up only months ago. So, the copyright reverts to me, which I shall be free to capitalise on should my future books be successful enough to secure a readership. It is a shame that independent publishers struggle so much; they seem to be forever on the knife-edge. Waterstones plays a large part in that it can returns a whole load of unsold books in what is often an insufficient timeframe. What's to be done? I read a headline today about how amazon is breaking down the old arrangements by enabling authors to 'publish' digital 'books' direct to the reader. I didn't click on the link. I feel a bit of apathy towards getting the next publishing deal if truth be known. I have a publisher looking at Mary Burns, a publisher I respect and admire, but I'm a realist, even though I tell myself, frequently, that no-one knows anything: not about what will sell or what will work, what will take off or crash. No one.



Popular posts from this blog

Who was Mary Burns?

Booker Shortlist announced

An Enemy of the People - Chichester Festival Theatre