Bits n drabs

So, it's been a little while. The day job can be all consuming. That doesn't mean that I'm not writing though - I felt satisfied with what I managed to get done over the weekend. And despite my time being seriously limited, I'm actually writing more slowly on the work-in-progress. I watched a documentary the other night on Edna O'Brien. She said that she thinks a book will take her two years to write - but it's more like four! And that made me feel less anxious about my current pace.

I am also reading in bits and drabs; fits n starts. There was a great story in the last issue of the New Yorker: The Simplica Girl Diaries by George Saunders.

The current issue of the LRB features yet another poem by August Kleinzahler. I don't like his work. And every time I see his name I sigh. Sorry, August, your work is just lost on me and it elicits no emotional response.

I can't say there are any books around that I feel I must be reading either. I've never been one for Hilary Mantel, although I sense I would like her as a person, so won't be rushing out to buy her Booker winning 'Bring up the Bodies'. I only managed to get a third of the way through Wolf Hall.

And Rowling's The Casual Vacancy doesn't sound like my thing, although the themes are appealing; the reviews and what have been extracted reveal a prose style that wouldn't push my buttons. I never read Harry Potter. I don't do the crossover thing, although I have toyed with the idea of reading Blyton's Malory Towers series, which I loved growing up. But maybe that's where they need to stay.
Onwards!

Popular posts from this blog

Who was Mary Burns?

An Enemy of the People - Chichester Festival Theatre

Five Finger Exercise - The Print Room, Notting Hill