Skip to main content

That was the week that was

To Soho Theatre on Tuesday evening to see Address Unknown, a short epistolary play about two old friends and their relationship when one leaves US for his native Germany, whilst the Jewish Max remains. Beautiful set design, comprised two offices. As soon as I realised they'd just be reading letters to and from each other I frowned and sighed. But it maintained a compelling pace, with a few well-placed peaks. What I found striking were some of the parallels with today; of 1930s Germany and its austerity and collective shame and guilt from the First World War. The UK has never, it seems, been more aware of its colonialist past and the consequences of it. Even David Cameron has apologised for some things. But in eras of austerity, one often finds growths of extremes - on both sides of the political spectrum. And so from this mood Hilter, the failed and thwarted artist, came to power, offering the people a sense of pride and purpose. And a scapegoat. Towards the end it felt a bit like the Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, but this play was adapted from a much earlier text. I recommend it. The only gripe - yet again - is allowing people into theatres, even theatres as laid back as Soho, after the play has begun!

Last night I returned to Soho. First we stopped off for an early bite at the Groucho. I hadn't been there in a good fifteen years. I was twenty-five then. Sigh. I went for the twice-baked goat's cheese soufflĂ©, which was heavenly. My friend had the sea bass with fennel. For pud, I went for the poached peach, which I was a bit disappointed with. For some reason I had expected it warm, like my own delicious (better!) baked peach! Friend had the incredibly indulgent Eton Mess, which I helped her with! We returned up the road to Soho Theatre to see David Baddiel try out new material on the nature of 'fame'. I met him and his partner, Morwenna Banks, at a party years ago. Not that he'd ever remember. Although he recalled to us many a party anecdote featuring Andrew Lloyd Webber, which was very funny. I loved that he talked a bit about Peter Gabriel, who I've always loved. It was an intimate, sometimes vulnerable set from Baddiel. It was more of a funny essay on the nature of fame; that tricky thing that to which so many people aspire. And prominently features Twitter, which was a very good touch. And then it ends with a clip of his daughter, singing. Beautiful voice. 

Tomorrow I'm off to the Tricycle cinema to watch the film of Twelfth Night, which starred  Mark Rylance, and Fry as Malvolio. Preceded - or followed by - a Q&A. 

Only a week to go until Othello at the National. 

Popular posts from this blog

Who was Mary Burns?

On 7th January 1863 Mary Burns was found dead from a suspected heart attack. She was 43 years old. Since her death Mary has received barely any attention despite the fact that she spent over twenty years as the common-law wife of Friedrich Engels, one of the world’s most influential thinkers and the co-founder of Marxism.

Born in 1822, Mary was the oldest surviving child of textile dyer and factory operative, Michael Burns, and Mary Conroy, Irish immigrants from Tipperary. Mary’s parents had married at St. Patrick’s in an area known casually as Irish Town, one of few Catholic churches in Manchester at that time. The year of Mary’s birth and her infancy were significant in that Manchester was still dealing with the aftermath of the event that became known as the 1819 Peterloo Massacre, a peaceful protest of the working-classes on the site of St. Peter’s Fields in which several people were killed and hundreds injured. The Massacre occurred when magistrates, alarmed at the size of t…

Booker Shortlist announced

It's been a while... I know. Dog walking on the Downs, a bit of theatre, a bit of baking, a bit of writing etcetera etcetera. I also managed to read two complete books in the past month, which I was so pleased about. I had not read a whole book for about a year. The first was A Lie About My Father by Scottish poet/writer, John Burnside; a very well written memoir about father and son, but like all memoirs, some unreliability I felt. Poignant and tragic in equal measure. Then my husband returned from Cyprus (too hot for me this time of year, I can barely cope with England!) with Sebastian Faulks's Birdsong. He loved it. And then I read it and also loved it. I had originally picked it up several years ago but didn't get beyond Amiens, where the first section is set, but was really glad I did this time around. Another incredibly well written book in the style of a good Victorian! I felt a bit unsure about bits of Elizabeth, in the later section, but I have never learnt so muc…

Good Canary

Forgot to mention that we went to see Good Canary at Kingston's Rose Theatre last week. Star role played by the brilliantly intense Freya Mavor, who plays a speed addict. It's directed by John Malkovich - his UK's theatre directorial debut. Will try and post more about it later.