It's been a while. Am now trying to work out what plays I've seen and books I've read since the last post. I went to see Imelda Staunton in Good People at the Noël Coward theatre in Covent Garden. It was a good play. Imelda Staunton's Irish American Boston / New Jersey / whatever accent was first class. And once again had me lamenting for a solid genre in British novels and theatre. The US does blue collar so much better. In May it was to the fantastic Bush Theatre to see Nick Payne's new play, Incognito, a literally cerebral play about Einstein's brain. Back to accents and the range of them voiced by the four actors (I think it was four) was dizzying and hugely impressive. Skylight is the west end play to see at the moment, starring the lovely Bill Nighy and the (very much younger) Cary Mulligan. Tickets are proving hard to buy unless you're willing to pay over £120 a seat or willing to stand! I love the name Cary Mulligan. My sister had a cat called Mulligan, which ran away and turned up in the local park, having found a new home on the other side of it. But I digress. My own play is 'out there' with a few off west end theatres. I shall report on responses in due course. I still feel as sure of it as I did last year when I felt the urge to scribble it down. And I'm now also getting 'snippets and slices' of other stories - more suitable for books than stage. The creative fermentation process. A lot has happened since my last post. I am now in a relationship with a wonderful man, for whom I recently bought the new treatise on Baghdad: City of War, City of Peace... which is the first major history in over a century. It's had many good reviews and the opening is compelling. I've just finished reading the first novel in ages - Elizabeth Strout's The Burgess Boys. Strout won the Pulitzer Prize for 'Olive Kitteridge', which I have beside me. The Burgess Boys was a good novel - but Zachary - the son of the sister of the Burgess Boys (!) is not adequately drawn. He's too passive and doesn't convince as an apparently 19-year-old man. Having said that, it is good book managing to weave inner generational issues and stories with a tragic incident at its heart. I have started drafting an article on my Dad for Annagh, the parish magazine of the area in Mayo that my Dad came from. But I'm not close to finishing. At all. Maybe by the next post it will be done. Onwards!

Popular Posts